Our church was officially founded in November 1771 although it’s roots go back much further.
A small congregation was established in 1696 in a chapel adjacent to our current premises but this chapel was destroyed by fire in 1765.
In 1837 Honiton Independent Chapel was accredited with solemnizing marriages, one of only 63 non-conformist churches in the country.
The leasehold of the property was secured for £5 in 1844.
Additions to the chapel include the Prayer Room (1850) and the School Room at the rear. Here a branch of the British School Movement was established in the early 19th century to educate the poor and uneducated children of the town.